Which Ayurvedic Treatment Is Best For Weight Loss?
Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medicine system, offers a holistic approach to weight loss based on balancing the body, mind, and spirit. Shadanga – Kerala’s Ayurveda is a weight loss center in Gurgaon that acknowledges that each individual has a unique body type or dosha, and an imbalance in the doshas often causes that weight gain. By identifying and correcting this imbalance, Shadanga – Kerala’s Ayurveda can help individuals achieve healthy and sustainable weight loss.
Here are some of the best Ayurvedic treatments for weight loss:
1. Ayurvedic Diet: We at Shadanga – Kerala’s Ayurveda recognizes that each individual has a unique body type, or dosha, that determines their dietary needs. There are three primary doshas: Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. A Vata person tends to be thin with a fast metabolism, a Pitta person tends to be of medium build with a strong appetite, and a Kapha person tends to be heavier with a slower metabolism. Based on an individual’s dosha, an Ayurvedic practitioner can recommend a diet tailored to their needs.
For weight loss, an Ayurvedic diet typically emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and healthy fats such as ghee, coconut oil, and olive oil. Foods that are processed, refined, or contain artificial additives are generally avoided. Additionally, Ayurveda recommends eating mindfully, in a calm and relaxed environment, and chewing food thoroughly to aid digestion.
2. Herbal Remedies: We at Shadanga – Kerala’s Ayurveda feel that ayurvedic herbs and spices are commonly used to support weight loss. Some of the most widely used herbs include:
• Ginger: Ginger is a warming herb that can help improve digestion and boost metabolism. It is often used to support weight loss by reducing inflammation in the body.
• Turmeric: Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory herb that can help reduce inflammation in the body. It has also been shown to support weight loss by improving insulin sensitivity.
• Triphala: Triphala combines three fruits commonly used in Ayurveda to support digestion and detoxification. It can help promote healthy weight loss by improving digestion and reducing inflammation.
• Guggulu: Guggulu is a resin commonly used in Ayurveda to support weight loss. It can help reduce inflammation and boost metabolism, making it a practical aid for weight loss.
3. Yoga and Exercise: Shadanga – Kerala’s Ayurveda recognizes the importance of physical activity in supporting overall health and wellness. Yoga is an efficient exercise for weight loss, combining physical activity with meditation and stress reduction. The most impactful yoga poses for weight loss include:
• Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation): This series of 12 poses are a great way to warm up the body and boost metabolism.
• Warrior II: This pose helps build strength and endurance in the legs and core while improving balance and concentration.
• Boat Pose: This pose is excellent for toning the abdominal muscles and strengthening the core.
• Plank Pose: This pose is excellent for building strength in the arms, shoulders, and core.
4. Ayurvedic Massage: During an Ayurvedic massage, the practitioner at Shadanga – Kerala’s Ayurveda will choose specific herbal oils based on an individual’s dosha or body type. The massage typically begins with the head and scalp, followed by the neck, shoulders, back, arms, legs, and feet. Next, the warm herbal oil is massaged into the skin using various techniques, including long strokes, circular motions, and pressure point massage.
Our special treatments for weight loss are
• UDHWARTHANAM & UDHGARSHANAM
• DHANYAMLA DHARA
• CHOORNA PIND SWEDA
• PATRA PINDA SWEDA
The warm oil helps to open up the pores and facilitate the release of toxins from the body. Warm oil also helps to improve circulation, which can help to dislodge inflammation and promote healthy weight loss. In addition, the massage can help reduce stress and promote relaxation, which can benefit those who struggle with emotional eating or stress-related weight gain. Ayurvedic massage is generally considered safe for most individuals, although it may not be appropriate for those with some medical conditions or who are pregnant. Therefore, it is important to work with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner who can help you determine if this treatment is proper for you and provide guidance on incorporating it into your weight loss regimen safely.
5. Ayurvedic Cleansing: Ayurvedic cleansing typically involves a series of treatments and practices that are designed to get rid of toxins from the body and restore balance to the doshas. The specific treatments used will vary depending on an individual’s dosha and their unique health needs but may include:
• Abhyanga: As mentioned earlier, Ayurvedic massage using warm herbal oils can be a powerful tool for supporting weight loss and detoxification.
• Shirodhara: This treatment involves pouring warm herbal oil over the forehead, which can help to calm the nervous system, reduce stress, and improve mental clarity.
• Basti: This is a form of herbal enema that is used to eliminate toxins from the colon and improve digestive function.
• Nasya: This treatment involves administering herbal oils or powders through the nostrils, which can help to clear the sinuses, reduce inflammation, and support healthy respiratory function.
• Herbal steam: Steam treatments using specific herbs can help open up the pores and promote sweating, which can effectively release toxins from the body.
Shadanga – Kerala’s Ayurveda offers a holistic weight loss approach based on balancing the body, mind, and spirit. Individuals can achieve healthy and sustainable weight loss by following an Ayurvedic diet, using herbal remedies, practicing yoga and exercise, receiving an Ayurvedic massage, and periodically cleansing the body. However, it is essential to work with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner such as Shadanga – Kerala’s Ayurveda to develop a personalized regimen plan tailored to your needs.